Monday, March 16, 2009

Uproar over Dora the Explorer's new look!


from a news service:"Dora the streetwalker. A sexed-up version of a children's icon. A poor example for kids.
Those were just some of the terms tossed around the blogosphere after Mattel released a silhouette of the "new" Dora, whose image was drastically changed from the endearing tomboy look Dora fans grew to love, with her bowl-cut hairdo, T-shirt and red shorts. This new Dora appeared to have long flowing hair, and was wearing what seemed a scanty skirt, emphasizing her long, shapely legs."
Ok, my two cents:First, I'm not a mom. But I do have some brains, and I can't see what the fuss is all about here. This new Dora is cute. A scanty skirt? nope! IT'S A TUNIC TOP! long shapely legs. Oh Puh-leeze! Does your daughter wear thick snow pants at the beach?Get a grip people! Her legs are shaped just like HUMAN LEGS!Mattel says they are not getting rid of the old Dora. There will be two versions. The "tomboy" Dora and the more "girly" Dora. As a former tomboy, I have to say, at some time in a tomboy's life, she needs to grow up and become more feminine. I don't mean slutty either, but a girl should like a girl, not a tramp, but not wearing that disgusting hip-hop look. I see tweens and teens go in both directions. Either their clothes are so tight they look like they're wearing second skins. They have all this makeup on and fake nails. Then others go in the other direction, with the baggy oversized t-shirts.And the "fuller figure" ones (and I mean grown women as well) squeeze their fullness into tight leggings and they bulge out and look disgusting.This Dora looks feminine, without being trashy. She's not wearing excessive jewelry, just a simple necklace, bracelets and cute little earrings. (oh, how many of you moms got your daughter's ears pierced at a young age? mmmmm? I had to wait until I was 18 before my father let me do that!)I don't see any makeup or fake nails on this new Dora either. This Dora is cute, feminine, yet still retains a little-girl look. In fact, with her long hair, she looks like Gina, the little girl featured in the Dennis the Menace comic strip in some Sunday papers. Gina has been around since I think the late 60s, wears a belt, slung low at her hips over a tunic top. Bottom line: get your minds out of the gutter people and let girls mature with a good role model!

No comments: